Friday, March 13, 2009

Metalwork class project!

I've received the metals I need for my class project - 20G argentium sheet and 18G copper (well I might use a thinner gauge - haven't decided yet) and 14G argentium wire. Ya think this will be a bit on the chunky side?? And this week I did sweat soldering since that's what I'll do on my project. It took 2 solder sessions to get the piece almost totally soldered down. I didn't want to waste the solder finising it off since it's just a test piece. Next is to cut out a template to see how to cut the argentium sheet. At $38 for a 2" x 6" piece I don't want to make any mistakes when I cut it! I'm also thinking of ways to embellish it with gemmies. I have so many pretty ones! Maybe I'll cut a hole in each link and bead a wire into place. I just don't know yet! But I better figure it out since I would like to finish it up before the class finishes.

2 comments:

Nedra Fabito said...

Hi there, Do you know anyone who teaches jewelry metalwork in Las Vegas. Unfortunately I am stranded here due to my husband's job and I'd like to get back to my passion of making jewelry. I need to connect with people in Las Vegas. Thanks!

cserpentDesigns said...

Check with your local community colleges Nedra. That's where I took my classes.