Saturday, February 2, 2019

Tucson day 1!

Technically it is day 2 since we arrived on Thursday but since we got in at 7PM and then had to eat, get groceries and check into our hotel we didn't do anything related to the show.  Travel days just don't count as show days - LOL!

So today we hit 3 venues - SRGJ (at what was formerly the Grant Inn), JG&M - Simpson Street (I HAD to see one of my favorite vendors Feng's Trading) and JOGS.  I did not take a single picture today - just too busy shopping! - so you'll have to settle for pictures of the pretties that I found today.  If you don't already know I'm still rehabbing from foot surgery 6 months ago.  The foot was pretty sore by the end of the day so tomorrow it will feel really special. We're going to Gem Mall and Holidome and those involve, literally, miles of walking.   But no need to worry about tomorrow now - let's enjoy the now and these beautiful gemstones!

At SRGJ I headed straight to SII Findings.  Yes I do have a list of things I actually do need (and lists from some of my jewelry making friends as well), but, as you can guess, I also buy many things that I just love!  At SII I was in search of sterling, gold and copper findings.  Some things I wanted were not available but they told me they'll restock tonight at their store in Phoenix and bring down the things I'm still looking for tomorrow.  Here are the goodies I got at SRGJ.
Copper and sterling
 After SRGJ we headed to JG&M to visit with Toyo Feng.  Here are the beauties I got from him.
Opal agate, beautiful carved turquoise ovals and little faceted turquoise rondelles.  The colors are beautiful.  Taking pictures with my little camera and hotel room lighting makes for bad pictures.
Black Onyx
A closeup of the black onyx.  I just love that matte finish with rivers of shine running around on the surface.
Azurite and carved blue tiger eye.
A closeup of the blue tiger eye - but I only caught a hint of the chatoyance.
Rose quartz and cape amethyst.  The colors in the cape amethyst are TDF.  My picture stinks!
Stick pearls and green garnet.
Lapis flat squares
Hematite flat squares
Tiny faceted turquoise and yellow selenium
After the fun at Toyo's booth we went to lunch at the Sunny Daze cafe.  That place so interesting and the food is pretty good!  I had the veggie burger and enjoyed it!  Then it was off to JOGS!

Here are some of the nice sterling and gold filled findings and gemstones I got at Kings Beads.
Aren't the padlock clasps neat!

All sterling. I was drawn to dagger and pointed shapes today!

Neat gold fill chain and a bad picture of twisted, faceted prehnite pillows
 And from my visit to one of the four Best in Gems booth at JOGS - these paired beauties!

Ruby zoisite, lapis and aqua chalcedony

The lapis points up close and personal

Azurite and sonora jasper

Flash labradorite and lovely, striped amazonite.  The stripes look white in real life.

Stunning ametrine (more points!) and beautiful lapis.

1 comment: